Sunday, December 2, 2007

5 Things I'm Thankful For......Meme

I was tagged by Che to write this meme. To see the original post by John, go here.

I've taken a few days to get to this because I wanted to think about it and not just throw out a bunch of stuff. The thing is, (yes, there's always a thing with me) the really extraordinary thing about my life is how it has been marked by blessing. If one were to see my life through a series of events through time, the sheer amount of blessings in it is truly remarkable. The fact that I can take these things for granted on a dayly basis is just another marker on how much I have really been blessed. So I'll pick a few highlights.

I'm thankful for my husband. After 18 years of marriage, that we not only still love each other, but actually like each other is truly remarkable. He is an extraordinary man and I am so thankful for him.

My kids are a constant source of humour and challenge. When they were little I remember saying to God, "You gave me these children, but you didn't give me the tools I need to raise them!" I'm sure every mother feels this at some point. I have reconciled myself to the fact that, for better or worse, I'm the best they're going to get as far as mothering and that's okay. They make me laugh, cry, they teach me, and challenge me. Many days, they are what keeps me going.

I'm thankful for the freedom to live and explore. The fact that I can speak my mind without fear of retribution, either from those around me or government is such a gift. I was sitting in Starbucks the other day and a police officer came in. I sat there thinking that as I am writing my thoughts for a course I'm teaching, that man has sworn to protect my right to do what I'm doing, with his life if need be, even though he may directly disagree with me. The fact that we have freedom in this country is something many have paid for, but is so prevalent that we can actually live and never realize that we take it for granted.

I'm thankful for music; it is the language of my soul. Not just words, but the notes are many time somehow words enough. There have been periods of my life were I've not had much music around and its quiet and lonely. Music is an expression of my soul and a gateway to my spirit.

Finally, Jesus, the lover of my soul, my center, my reason, my goal, my journey, my everything. He is the one who holds my heart. Thank you, my friend for you.

I'm tagging Juanita.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it.
Thanks for sharing...
and give the fine hubby of yours a hug for me, will ya?
You guys have been good friends..

Mike said...

Kelly. Thanks for sharing your "thankfulness" with us. You thoughts on your husband remind me of my wife and I. After 10 years, people still think we're newlyweds.

Kelly Dueck said...

Thanks Mike.

Juanita Auton Wenham said...

how do i tag someone after i have written my post?

Kelly Dueck said...

You have to link their name with their blog address. The link icon is on the menu above where you write your post.