Saturday, December 8, 2007

Books in My Head...

I woke up this morning full of ideas... I can see some of you that know me starting to squirm already. You don't know the half of it, because these ideas involve you. And because I am married to a person who is regularly freaked out by my ideas I want to assure you that although I have big ideas, I'm not about to bowl anyone over with them.

Okay, here it is...please just bear with me, I want you to catch the spirit in which I'm going to say this, but totally open and asking for feed back, suggestions, input, etc. I want to write a book. Okay, I don't want to write it. I want to compile it.

I've been reading all these blogs lately and I'm blown away by a number of things: the intensity and rawness of this writing, the caliber of writing, and the topics that are written about.

These are articles and input written, not as you would read in a book, but written from raw emotion, from very real struggles and journeys. The way discussions emerge about God, and who he is and who he sees us as and the fresh perspectives on scripture and grace and church... It's incredible. You could probably find books that touch on all of these subjects, but rarely would you find one written in such real emotion, unsanitized and uncensored of offensive statements.

And I, who have been in the 'Church' my whole life, at least to some degree, have been challenged and inspired more from reading these blogs than by anything I've ever heard in 'Church'.

Here's the other side of the coin: I love missions. I have no desire to go on a missions trip. I do, however, have a burning, compelling, desire to fund missions. We've recently been getting to know Steve & Christina Stewart, leaders of Impact Nations, a missions organization based in Vancouver, BC (that's Canada).
My Dad recently went with them on a trip to the Phillipines.

They have various projects around the world where they set up medical clinics, teach widows to set up sewing businesses, bring in water filtration systems. They also do a lot of praying and healing the sick. Incredible stories. If you'd like to know more about them, go to www.impactnations.com

So here's how this all fits together: I'm into marketing. I can't help it. When I sit in a class in our prophetic training school, during a worship time, people all around me will be seeing visions and praying for people...my head is being bombarded with marketing ideas. I'm over feel guilty about it and moved on to accept that I just have a strange bent. I'm okay with that. I'm hoping you will be, too, once you've heard my idea.

I'd like to start compiling posts and comments from different blogs on various topics and put them into an ebook, then sell that ebook with proceeds going to Impact Nations. That's it in a nutshell. Here's the longer version:

Only those who choose to be involved would be. I certainly wouldn't use any material without permission. My husband, Murray Dueck, is an author that is growing in recognition, so if this book was listed as 'compiled by Murray & Kelly Dueck' it would have a ready market. I'm talking about Elijah List, Graham Cooke's site, our site (www.samuelsmantle.com) and a bunch of others.

For topics, I'm thinking maybe something like a look at grace, or journeys of grace, or, I don't know, stuff about women, for women. We could even make the money raised go specifically towards the widow's sewing project, which is really cool! Check it out on the Impact Nations site. Talk about putting choices back into the hands of women!

We can edit out the really personal stuff and make things as anonymous as people want it, but I think it could be a really cool thing?

Okay, I need input. Please, if you like the idea and have other bolggers that you think might like it, send them over. I haven't been around this bloggersville very long, so you'll have to make the connections, if you are into this.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea.
I'll put the word out to a few bloggers and we'll see what we come up with.
You are amazing...

Mike said...

This is a totally great idea!!

Heather said...

I think it's a fantastic idea. I would love to see the finished product.

Rather than stick to one topic completely you might be able to put together a few topics in sections. Eg. Grace, Missional ideas, God, etc etc. They could all fit together under one title, and it might give more of a cross-section of your favourite posts rather than just one single topic. For example, if you stuck simply to the "women" line you would cut out some amazing bloggers who are men.

Really, it's a great idea. I hope it works out!

Kelly Dueck said...

Cool. Does that mean you'd all be interested in letting me use some of your posts and comments?

And what the heck does missional mean. People keep writing that and I can't figure out what they're talking about.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ruth said...

Kelly I think that is a great idea!!!! I found you from Che's blog.

I was just thinking something similar the other day. You hit it on the mark when you said
"rarely would you find one written in such real emotion, unsanitized and uncensored of offensive statements." I love reading current bogs of people who are genuinly engaged in a passionate pursuit of Christ. As you said it is unsanitized and I beleive it puts us closer to the pulse of believers and what Christ is doing among us.
I have often thought that the Church has been guilty of withholding information. As my Pastor said once to me when I questioned him about it, they are quick to tell people when to put on the breaks but not when to put on the gas.

Kelly Dueck said...

Hi Ruth, thanks for finding my little corner. That statement: "the church has been guilty of withholding information" wow! I'd like to read more about that.

Juanita Auton Wenham said...

ok..i am in...have I mentioned lately that your brain fascinates me?
It begs further study...

Kelly Dueck said...

Juanita, study all you want, but I don't do well in a lab setting. Spas work better for me.

Barb said...

Great idea. If you want to use any thing that I have written - let me know. I know it is not in publishable form but would be willing to have someone "finish" it.

Kelly Dueck said...

Thanks Barb!

Ruth said...

Hi Kelly,

You asked so I will expand.......yes I believe that the church has been guilty of witholding information. I guess I am speaking of the conservative evangelical arm of the church in general since that is where my experience comes from.
In my pursuit for the past 10 years of making my faith my own I began to read and question and in many cases felt like I ran into a brick wall. I could not get any straight answers about subjects such as gifts of the spirit, the prohetic, hearing God's voice, spiritual warfare and authority......you know....all the good stuff. It seemed our church library was conveniently not stocking any of those kinds of books. Except for the ones that spoke against abusers of it. Information was just quietly absent. Questions led to "pat answers". Answers such as "it's not that we don't believe in that, we just don't emphasize it.
I started to realize that they just don't know anything about those things, are afraid of them and don't want to know.
I liken it to reading a manual over and over again about how to ride a bike. Having lots of opinions and ideologies about the bike but never ever actually getting on the bike and riding it, feeling the wind in your hair and letting it take you on a ride.

Thanks for asking Kelly.....it feels good to get that off my chest. However, I don't say it with a bitter spirit at all. I have chosen to stick with my conservative evangelical church because I feel that God is asking me too. I love my Church Family. I know that the Lord is restoring His church these days and He has plans for it that I can not even conceive.

Mike said...

You can feel free to use any of mine.

Kelly Dueck said...

Thanks Mike!
Ruth, thanks for sharing that. My husband and I have been teaching people about the prophetic and how to hear God's voice, dream interpretation, all the fun stuff, for years.
Something people invariably go through when they are in the first couple of months of our first year class is what I call the 'I'm not crazy' syndrome.
They hear all this teaching about how God speaks to them, start to ride the bike, and learn that they aren't alone, they aren't weird or crazy, but they experiencing a normal part of life with Jesus.

It's so fun to watch!

Ruth said...

I checked out your school web site.....it looks great! It's good to know you offer this.
I see that you offer the Brad Jersak books. I am familiar with them and have taken the listening prayer seminars. It was pretty life changing for me. When I first heard Brad Jersak speak a few years ago, I was enthralled. My spirit cried out in hunger for what he was saying but my mind was saying "am I allowed to believe this?" I know what you mean about the "I'm not crazy syndrome".
I have learned alot from the jesus-ministry.com/conferences in Tacomma Washington. They teach freedom from strongholds through prophetic prayer and repentance. The conferences for the past few years have been amazing and people have been coming from all different parts of the world. Our little group were the only Canucks though.
Take care.